EarthBound has some great music, and I found this cool video a while back. Apparently, Hyadain and Professor Sakamoto got together and brought Keiichi Suzuki and Hirokazu Tanaka, the original composers for Mother and EarthBound, together for a livestream concert of music from the games. Maki Nomia of Pizzicato Five also comes on towards the end to sing.
So, two popular musicians got the original composers from the Mother series, along with the singer from Pizzicato Five, to play music from the games.
Just the idea of it actually happening makes me happy, so I figured I’d share with everyone.
The first hour or so is introductions and talking about the making of the music and that kind of thing. It’s worth a listen if you can understand some Japanese. If you want to skip to the music, here’s the breakdown:
- 1:03:07 to 1:04:00 - Disappointingly short tuning/warmup jam of Saturn Valley
- 1:06:57 to 1:10:35 - Pollyanna (Mother)
- 1:15:57 to 1:20:08 - Twoson (EarthBound/Mother 2)
- 1:23:02 to 1:24:48 - Fourside (EarthBound/Mother 2) + Hyadain messing everything up
- 1:26:42 to 1:30:30 - Because I Love You (EarthBound/Mother 2)
- 1:34:15 to 1:38:05 - Money Money (Runaway 5/Tonzura Brothers second song), with just Hyadain
After that, Maki Nomia shows up! But, the next couple songs aren’t related to the Mother series.
- 1:42:36 to 1:46:15 - Baby Portable Rock (Pizzicato Five)
- 1:48:24 to 1:52:12 - Kakakata Omoi F (Hyadain)
Then, everyone comes back for the big finish! The ending song from EarthBound.
- 1:58:19 to 2:03:57 - Smiles and Tears (EarthBound/Mother 2)
After that, everyone congratulates each other and takes pictures and then realizes that their initial plan of including all the attendees in the credits was a bad idea because it ended up taking an extra ten minutes. So, you get to listen to a Hyadain chiptune remix medley for a while.
In general, it’s a really cool event and I’m glad I stumbled across it about a year ago. I’ve watched it so many times. I hope you guys enjoy it!